What’s New At The Nautical Mile in Freeport
If you are planning a trip to Freeport, NY, you’ll need to check out what’s new at Freeport Nautical Mile. This waterfront street runs alongside Woodcleft Canal and provides a variety of new shops, new restaurants, and attractions for locals and visitors alike. Travel back in time and experience the maritime past of the area or check out the latest and greatest, but here is what you can expect when you visit the Nautical Mile in Freeport, NY.
Nautical Mile History
Developers in Freeport created the Woodcraft Canal in the second half of the 19th century, and today the Nautical Mile occupies one side of that canal, with beautiful views of the South Shore. In 2012, Superstorm Sandy hit the Nautical Mile quite hard, but the city of Freeport has rebuilt the area, and the businesses have been revitalized to make the Nautical Mile better than ever. You can still see the history of the strip echoed in the old-fashioned street lamps and in the old-school architecture of the quaint buildings. Today, it attracts residents as well as visitors from beyond Staten Island and Huntington.
Things to Do at the Nautical Mile
People from Long Island and Staten Island find themselves visiting the Nautical Mile at different times. During the summer months, you can enjoy the beautiful scenery, take a boat out on the water, or just enjoy the visitors who head to the South Shore for a day. While most people will come for the food, you’ll find a variety of other attractions:
- Mini-golf, shopping, dancing terraces, and the Seabreeze park waterpark
- Party boats, whale-watching, fishing at the Woodcleft Fishing Station, and fish markets
Plus, the Nautical Mile is family-friendly, so it provides you and the little ones plenty of fun and entertainment while away from home.
Dining at the Nautical Mile
Being so close to the water, the Nautical Mile is mostly known for its waterfront dining. While here, you’ll be overwhelmed with the amount of Nautical Mile restaurants available, so you may have to come back often or extend your stay just to find your favorite one. Even with all the different options, you’ll enjoy:
- Clam bars, crab shacks, fresh seafood at most of the restaurants
- Other cuisines such as Italian and American
- Quick snacks and treats from the ice cream parlor
- Bars and alehouses for a relaxing drink on the water
Events at the Nautical Mile
- Nautical Mile Festival and Blues Concert – held in the beginning of June every year, with live music, games, rides, vendors, and restaurant specials.
- Nautical Mile Firewords Show – held during the Independence Day holiday, with a week leading up to the show full of food, drinks, and fun.
- Restaurant Week at the Nautical Mile – held every September, with dinner specials at all participating restaurants.
Explore Freeport In a Jaguar
If you’re looking for fun things to do near Freeport, let Heritage Jaguar of Freeport help. As members of the community, we can help you with all events in the area, from finding a Christmas tree in Long Island to checking out the best Escape Rooms in Long Island to purchasing a new vehicle. Contact us today and find out more about the Freeport advantage.